Preservation Idaho offers several tour series and is ever expanding our offerings. The list below is our current guided tour offerings. Preservation Idaho can offer a private, guided tour of our regular WalkAbout tours and may be able to create a customized tour for you. This service is available year-round.
WalkAbout Boise starts June 2nd! It happens every Saturday at 11 AM in downtown Boise. Join us for this 1.5-hour guided walking tour through 150 years of history and architecture.
Let us introduce you to the stories and architecture that makes downtown Boise like no other place. This tour is great for visitors and for Idaho residents who want to learn more about how Boise's vibrant downtown developed and the people who made it happen.
Tour Highlights Include:
- Downtown's evolution from gold rush boomtown, through urban renewal decline, and 21st century revitalization
- The oldest and newest buildings downtown, spanning 150 years of construction
- Buildings associated with Boise's historic Basque, German, Jewish, and Chinese communities
- The Idaho State Capitol and Boise City Hall
- Buildings designed by early pioneers and nationally known master architects
- The Egyptian Theatre
Every Saturday at 11 AM
walkabout idaho falls
WalkAbout Idaho Falls runs from June - September and is a 1-hour guided walking tour through downtown Idaho Falls. The tour is offered the 3rd Saturday of the month.
The tour introduces you to the unique history of Idaho Falls both from a historical and an architectural perspective. The railroad loomed large in the founding of IF and then, quite literally, rode itself out of town. How did that happen? Join us and find out! The tour is fun and informative.
Tour Highlights Include:
- Downtown's evolution from a narrow crossing on the Snake River, through a railroad town boom and bust, to urban renewal decline and 21st century revitalization
- Residential and commercial structures spanning over 100 years of construction
- Historic river, rail, and road transportation corridors Simple residential architecture through commercial Richardsonian Romanesque
- Stories, myths, and legends associated with the people and places that make downtown unique
Every 3rd Saturday during summer and fall months
Preservation Idaho's original walking tour series is a popular ticket. The series run annually in Boise taking place the last Thursday of each month in the summer.
Sometimes it is difficult in today's fast paced world to take time to look at the buildings with which we interact every day. The ArchWalk program is designed to do just that. Learn more about the architecture, history and notoriety of Boise's buildings and neighborhoods.
Preservation Idaho is comprised of many knowledgeable architectural historians and historians and may be able to create a customized guided tour of a specific area or topic of interest for you.
Tour group types:
- Individuals, Friends & Families
- Special events
- School field trips
Partner Organizations With Historic Tours
There are several other organizations around the state offering tours where you can learn more about local history. Here are a few that we are aware of. For more information please contact the partner organization directly.