Excellence in Historic Preservation
Awarded to projects that have demonstrated outstanding adherence to the Secretary of the Interior's Standards in preservation, restoration, renovation, or adaptive reuse (residential or commercial).
- Idaho State Capitol Building Renovation – For the exemplary completion of the single largest historic renovation and addition project in the history of the state
- The Whitman Hotel Renovation – For the careful renovation of a historic hotel for residential use in Pocatello
- Ranger Carol McCoy-Brown and the Landmark Ranger Station – For the systematic preservation and renovation of this historic Forest Service site on the Boise National Forest
- The Issacs House – Awarded to Robert and Nancy Roberts for the restoration of the Isaacs House in Caldwell
Contribution to Historic Preservation
Awarded to projects that have been successful in the tasteful restoration, addition, or remodel of an existing building (residential or commercial).
- Samuel Young House – Awarded to Tina Maria Schultz for the renovation of the historic Samuel Young House for commercial use by Rosa’s Italian Market and Deli in Post Falls
- The Modern Hotel & Bar – Awarded to Elizabeth Tullis, David Hale, and Architect Dwaine Carver for the renovation of the 1960 Boise Travelodge as the boutique Modern Hotel in Boise
- North Junior High School Gymnasium Addition – Awarded to CTA Architects for the renovation of and tasteful addition to the historic North Junior High School gymnasium in Boise
Friend of Preservation
Awarded to non-professional individuals distinguished for service in historic preservation. This would include, but not be limited to, those who volunteer for preservation organizations, historical societies or museums.
- Juliaetta-Kendrick Heritage Foundation – Juliaetta and Kendrick
Cultural Heritage Preservation
Awarded to educational programs and projects that have made a positive impact toward the preservation of cultural heritage and open spaces, as well as the restoration and rehabilitation of historic landmarks and roadside architecture.
- Lolo Creek Bridge – Awarded to Gem County and the City of Emmett for the careful restoration and relocation of the Lolo Creek Bridge to Emmett
- Idaho Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission – For restoration and relocation of the Abraham Lincoln statue in Boise
- Acequeia Merchantile Building – Awarded to Jentzsch/Kearl Farms for the rehabilitation of the Acequia Mercantile building in Acequia
Awarded to organizations or individuals that have shown dedication to historic preservation through the long-term maintenance and care of historic, architecturally significant, or culturally important sites and structures.
- Frank Eld – For systematic preservation over forty years of Finnish immigrant culture and history in Long Valley
- Fruitland High School – Awarded to Don & Konnie Baines for the long-term maintenance and preservation of the historic Fruitland High School building in Fruitland
Examples of projects or programs insensitive to historic preservation can be awarded in the following categories: individuals or corporations who demolish historically significant buildings or sites; new construction that is insensitive or ignorant of the neighborhood's history.
- City of Kendrick – For the demolition of the historic Kendrick Depot and the unwillingness of the City to allow its preservation by a group of committed citizens
- The Boise Independent School District – For the cavalier treatment of historic landmarks in their care which resulted in the unnecessary demolition of Cole and Franklin Schools and the unsophisticated addition to and renovation of other school buildings in Boise
- A two-year battle between Boise school leaders and local preservationists has some looking at ways to resolve the next conflict
Idaho Statesman - May 8, 2010
- Preservation payoff: Restaurant owner earns Orchid Award for restoring historic home
Coeur d'Alene Press - April 30, 2010
- Local couple honored for preservation of old school: Baines receive Orchid Award for work on historic building
Argus Observer - May 12, 2010
- Eld, McCoy receive Orchid awards for preservation (1.3MB, PDF)
McCall Star-News - May 13, 2010
The 33rd Annual Orchids and Onions Awards were held on Saturday, May 8th, 2010 at the Idaho State Capitol Building in Boise, Idaho.