Onion: Boise Independent School District
Awarded to the Boise Independent School District for the Demolition of South Junior High School
South Junior High was constructed in 1948 following a design by Whitehouse and Price of Spokane. Built to house the expanding educational needs of south Boise, the building was constructed of reinforced concrete by the Boise firm of J. O. Jordan and Son. After serving the district for 60 years, the building was demolished to make way for a new facility on the site. This building could have been retained, but too often a lack of imagination or will leads to an unnecessary loss of Idaho’s history. In this instance, despite the efforts of Preservation Idaho, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and hundreds of other individuals and organizations which proved that the retention of the building would cost slightly less than new construction, the district chose to demolish the National Register eligible structure for a soulless new building. This serves as a reminder that half a dozen other historic school buildings are threatened in similar ways and their fate will be the same without action by the community at large.